Safeguarding your home from a burglar is a must as a homeowner or business owner. In 2018 there were 7,196,045 property crime offenses. These numbers can be frightening and don’t make for an easy nights sleep. You may feel powerless, but there are some measures you can take to deter your home or business from falling victim to a burglar.
- Putting up a security sign is an easy way to deter burglars. An ADT sign is even better because it sends the message that your home or business is secure and monitored. Most crimes are crimes of opportunity when easy access is spotted. When choosing a home or business a burglar is less likely to go for one that is wired professionally with security.
- Setting up a home security system may qualify you as a homeowner for discounts on insurance.
- Motion activated lights which turn on when motion is detected can catch a burglar by surprise.
- Glass break sensors help stop a crime from the moment it starts. Our glass break sensors alert you on your device as soon as it happens. This gives you ample time to set off your alert system and dispatch law enforcement authorities.
Protect Your Home or Business From The Outside
- Walk around the exterior of your home to find weakness. The best way to deter a burglar or theft is to walk around your home and look for it’s weak points. Can someone easily access a window? Are your door locks working? Are there any windows that can be easily pried open? Can you easily spot expensive items such as electronics or art? High value items that can be easily seen can be tempting to thieves. Minor changes to make these items not visible can mean the different between your home or business being a target.
- Keep shrubs and bushes trimmed. You don’t want to make it easy for a thief to hide during an attempted burglary. Eliminate the options for a hiding spot by keeping your shrubs and bushes trimmed short especially around walkways.
- Install a Fence. Installing a fence is an easy way to keep unwelcome guests off your property. Chain link fences do a good job of this, where wooden fences are easier to climb.
- Keep your yard free of clutter. A yard with toys signals that you could have expensive electronic items inside such as video game consoles, laptops, and televisions.
- Secure Your Car. Ideally you should park your car in your garage or in your driveway. However if you must park in the street make sure to park in a well lit area. Be sure to remove all valuables such as purses, GPS devices, wallets, money, etc. Never leave a spare key in your vehicle.
Protect Your Home or Business From the Inside
- Change the locks when moving into a new home or business location. If you are renting the home or property speak to your landlord and make sure this is done prior to moving in or setting up shop. There is no sure way to know the previous renters or tenants didn’t copy their keys. It’s better to be safe than sorry and prevent unwanted visitors into your home or business.
- Secure valuables in a home safe or lockbox. If it’s a small moveable safe consider having it bolted to your floor. A lockbox or safe that can be easily carried is one that a thief will take with them.
- Consider buying a home security system. The easiest way to protect your home and belongings in the event that a burglar should enter is to get a home security system. At Prime Protection LLC we have a wide variety of products to fit every business and homeowner’s need. From glass break sensors that alert you if your glass is broken to motion activated cameras which start recording and turn on lights when motion is detected. We also offer doorbell video cameras and have home automation options.
- Reinforce windows with safety glass or metal bars. Installing safety glass on your windows and reinforced metal bars make it impossible for someone to gain entry into your home or business. There are many decorative options for metal grilles that can make this decision aesthetically pleasing.